Creamy Cajun Shrimp & Sausage Pasta I’ve been wanting to try my hand at a Cajun pasta dish for some time. We absolutely devoured this one! The Cajun spices worked so well with the shrimp, sausage & asparagus. The sautéed onion and fire roasted tomatoes added an extra depth of flavor and the farfalle caught the sauce in all the right places. Each bite was something new. This is an indulgent one for sure, but definitely a delight! The Cajun heat with the creaminess is a killer combo. Hope you’ll try it!
– 1 lb farfalle pasta
– 4 sweet Italian sausage, crumbled out of casing
– 14 large raw shrimp
– 4 tbsp butter
– 2 tbsp + 1 tsp Cajun spice
– dash oregano, thyme, garlic powder
– salt, pepper, olive oil
– 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped small
– 4 cloves garlic, chopped
– handful asparagus, cut into thirds
– 1 large red bell pepper, diced
– 1/2 cup white wine
– 1 cup heavy cream
– 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes w/ green chilies (liquid drained)
– 1/2 cup fresh parm
– boil a pot of salted water and cook farfalle until al dente. Keep 1 cup of pasta water, drain pasta and set aside.
– while pasta cooks, brown your crumbled sausage in a large sauce pan (add olive oil to help if needed).
Remove from pan. Season shrimp (rinsed and dried) with some garlic powder, black pepper and some Cajun seasoning — toss to coat. In the same sauce pan, add 2 tbsp butter, 1 tsp Cajun seasoning and cook your shrimp. Remove to plate with the sausage.
– add your finely chopped onion and cook until softened and translucent. Add garlic, asparagus, red pepper, 2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp Cajun, dash of oregano and thyme. Stir to combine and let everything cook together for 3 mins.
– add white wine to deglaze the pan and let that reduce. This will allow the vegetables and mixture to continue to cook down and soften (7-10 minutes)
– add your heavy cream and remaining tbsp of Cajun seasoning. Bring to medium low heat and let this start to bubble. Add parm cheese, roasted tomatoes and cook together for another min.
– add pasta, sausage and shrimp. Mix and enjoy! Add pasta water if needed